Some old words are nearly obsolete, but we still recognize them because they were lucky enough to get stuck in set phrases that have lasted across the centuries. Here are 12 lucky words that survived by getting fossilized in idioms.
This cheeky motherfucker is Voltaire, who was basically responsible for inciting the French Revolution. He was an essayist, satirist, scientist, philosopher, playwrite, playboy, and all around BAMF. He was famous for hosting bitchin’ philosophy parties and for living with a married woman and her husband, and advocating for free speech, religion, and press. He wrote his entire life, including from the Bastille (he was arrested three time and exiled at least five) and lived to be 83.
Seth Tara has shot an inspiring series for the History Channel entitled, “Know Where You Stand.” The set depicts modern people revisiting historic landmarks, with a black and white layer from the past.
Your Digital Flapper Dictionary
- Terms and Useful Phrases
- That’s bullshit! - Thats all wet!
- I’ve got a shitty date - I’ve got a flat tire
- Don’t be stupid - Don’t be sill
- Move your ass! - Get a wiggle!
- A car you had sex in - Struggle Buggy
- Wasted - Spifflicated (from the words spiffy and intoxicated)
- That Hobo on the corner - That Palooka over there
- Now you’ve got it! - Now you’re on the trolly!
- A Gangsta’s bitch - A Moll
- A slut - A Hotsy Totsy
- I’m Engaged! - I’m Handcuffed
- Beer - Giggle Water
- Legs - Gams
- Boobs - Ninny Pies
- Rich Person - an egg
- The Commen Jerk - A Drugstore Cowboy
- Don’t be a shit head! - Don’t take any wooden nickels!
- That’s fucking awesome! - That’s the Bee’s knees!
- Honey, I said NO - Bank’s Closed, hon
- Holy Shit! - Hot Socks!
- That’s Great! - That’s the Cat’s Pajamas!
- Classy - Swanky
- I need to get wasted - I need to see a man about a dog
- A woman’s Cigarette - A freedom Torch
- That girl is HOT SHIT - That dames got IT
My Homage to an era (the Roaring Twenties) that had no end of wonderful slang, you can add some of your favorites to the list, lets see just how big this Hay Burner (a large object) can get!
The Ghosts of World War II by Sergey Larenkov
Taking old World War II photos, Russian photographer Sergey Larenkov carefully photoshops them over more recent shots to make the past come alive. Not only do we get to experience places like Berlin, Prague, and Vienna in ways we could have never imagined, more importantly, we are able to appreciate our shared history in a whole new and unbelievably meaningful way.
This is very haunting….as it should be, the Ghosts of WWII.